Lecturer/Instructor – Graphic Design – Sign Systems/Information Design
Vacancy for: Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts
Ref Code: II8.3.1
The German University in Cairo invites applications for vacancies to be filled effective September 2023 or February 2024.
The German University in Cairo is an Egyptian Private University, established in cooperation with the German State Universities of Ulm and Stuttgart, under the patronage of the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education, the Ministry of Science, Research and Arts, State of Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany. Situated at the ancient city of Cairo, the GUC’s mission is to achieve excellence in teaching and research.
The Faculty of Applied Science and Arts enrolling 1,250 students across three design majors: Graphic, Product and Media Design. The GUC (Cairo Campus) invites highly able and motivated applicants for the following vacancy in the Graphic Design Department. Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to undergraduate and graduate teaching.
The position will focus on developing and teaching of wayfinding and signage design in spatial orientation including the interplay of typography, pictograms, materials, colors and shapes. The applicant should have previous experience in concepts and systems designed for individual buildings, museums or entire systems like a city's public transport. The candidate should also be experienced in data visualization as a form of communication that portrays dense and complex information in graphical form.
The candidate should be interested in design research and should be eager to develop a research cluster as well as to supervise master theses.
Experience / Skills:
• Knowledgeable about current and future approaches within the field of design.
• Curiosity to widen the perception within the design discipline and thus create a foundation for design oriented actions and mindsets.
• Strong commitment to progressive design education principles regarding a self organized and responsible design study.
• Understanding of the implications of design practice within social, cultural, economic, scientific or technological contexts.
• Ability to work well with colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional experience and aesthetic sensibilities.
• Ability to structure and define project goals in order to foster and motivate positive experiences.
• Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills in English, which is the teaching language.
• Good management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
• An interest in working collaboratively within the GUC and with external partners towards the development of shared projects.
Academic Title will be assigned to successful applicants based on the highest degree achieved, industrial experience, teaching and research experience.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their curriculum vitae including: employment history, a statement outlining research and teaching interests, list of publications and projects undertaken and names of at least three referees, motivational letter and an online access to a portfolio of your work.
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. For best consideration, submit applications before 15th of May 2023.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Post Date: Tuesday, March 14, 2023