Professor/Lecturer - Product Design - Industrial Design & Mobility
Vacancy for: Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts
Ref Code: II8.1.1
The German University in Cairo - GUC (Cairo Campus)
Faculty of Applied Science and Arts
The Faculty of Applied Science and Arts invites highly able and motivated applicants in the Product design department, vacancies to be filled by Spring semester (February 2019) or Winter Semester (September 2019).
The Faculty of Applied Science and Arts enrolls 1,250 students across three design majors: Graphic, Product and Media Design.
The position will focus on teaching design principles of industrial products by a human-centered design process for creating product solutions. He/She should deliver challenging course material in terms of changing life style, environmental issues, and mobility issues to develop the core skills of product design graduates such as creative problem solving, conceptual ideation, design visualization and aesthetic execution. The applicant should encourage independent design thinking for ‘real-world’ projects reflecting the latest technological developments and findings from human sciences in the design of physical and digital products. Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to undergraduate and graduate teaching.
Requirements, experience and skills:
• Academic Title will be assigned to successful applicants based on the highest degree achieved, industrial experience, teaching and research experience.
• Applicants for the position of a Professor/Lecturer should hold a master degree or German diploma. A PhD would be an asset.
• Applicants for the position of a Lecturer should have at least 5 years of practical and 3 years of teaching experience.
• Applicants for a position of an Instructor should have a minimum 3 years of practical experience, teaching experience would be an asset.
Experience / Skills:
• Knowledgeable of the design principles of industrial products including current and future approaches within the field of design.
• Strong competences to integrate aspects of usability and aesthetics into industrial products.
• Ability to incorporate technical knowledge and creativity.
• Curiosity to widen the perception within the design discipline and thus create a foundation for design oriented actions and mindsets.
• Strong commitment to progressive design education principles regarding a self-organized and responsible design study.
• Understanding of the implications of Design practice within social, cultural, economic, scientific or technological contexts.
• Competence of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training and aesthetic sensibilities.
• Strong competences to structure and define project goals in order to foster and motivate positive experiences.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills and writing in English, which is the teaching language.
• Good management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
• An interest in working collaboratively within the GUC and with external partners towards the development of shared projects.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their curriculum vitae including: employment history, a statement outlining research and teaching interests, list of publications and projects undertaken and names of at least three referees, motivational letter and an online access to a portfolio of their work.
Submissions will be reviewed starting on 21st of December 2018, but applications are welcome until the position is filled
Post Date: Thursday, November 29, 2018